Thomas Kendrick

Default Can I save money on a shed if I build it?

On Thu, 21 Aug 2003 22:09:33 GMT, "jm"
wrote:

For example, I found one where the floor was well explained, but the roof,
which looked complicated to me (but it is an "ordinary" room the upside V
shape; sorry don't know what else to call it - gable?). I don't know how to
cut rafters. It looked hard. Maybe it is. I don't know, but I couldn't
tell what angle to cut them at or how the roof fit on the walls.

Framing the roof (even a simple gable roof) is a bit more complex
than building the walls and ensuring that they are plumb. The problem
is that this will probably be the only roof you ever frame, so the
learning curve is not very useful in the future.

Simple method - go measure an identical shed and replicate that
structure.

Less simple method - watch a professional crew frame a roof on a new
house.

More complex method - purchase a book on roof framing such as "Roof
Framing" by Marshall Gross.

The method basically involves -
1. Install the ridge beam parallel to the centerline of the building
and elevated such that the roof pitch is at least 4/12 so it will
drain. It is temporarily supported at the proper height until the
common rafters are installed to support it from the tops of the walls.
2. Install ceiling joists to hold the tops of the walls in the plumb
position.
3. Cut the common rafters at the proper angle to meet the ridge beam.
Cut the birdsmouth on the other end of the rafter such that it sits
flat on top of the wall with sufficient extension to allow for fascia
board (where guttering would be placed) to be at least 12-24" from the
outside of the walls.
4. Nail all common rafters in place. Remove temporary ridge beam
supports.
5. Install vertical studs in each gable (the triangular areas at each
end of the ridge beam) to support siding to cover these openings.
6. Place roof decking over common rafters beginning at the bottom.
7. Install felt, flashing and shingles or other roofing material.

You will need several 8' stepladders during some of these steps.
Borrow as needed and make sure they are 300# rated.