Scott Lurndal

Default Can I save money on a shed if I build it?

"jm" writes:
I know I have asked others in this thread, so sorry; maybe I shoud start
another thread, but what plans did you use?

What I did was scope out the sheds at the shed shop, and build one similar.

No plans[*]. 8'x12', stud wall construction 24" o.c. 3/4" T&G floor on 2x8
joists on 24" centers with 2x12 PT frame resting on pre-existing concrete
pad. T1-11 exterior, asphalt shingle roof (using 2x4 rafters). If I were
to do it again, I'd use 1/2" or 3/4" sheathing on the roof rather than
3/8" (which may require beefier rafters) - but we have no snow load to
worry about here. Installed a window on one of the long sides.

As it was to be used for hardwood lumber storage, I doubled up three of the
studs on one long wall, notched them in three places (3/4" x 3.5" notch on facing
sides of the studs) and bolted some short (18") 2x4s in the notches to support
the lumber horizontally.

Total cost about $800 and two weekends vs. the shed shop's $2500.
[*] Well, I drew my own prior to construction and did a full scale
floorplan on the living room carpet using masking tape to test out
the dimensions and usability (door and window locations were constrained
by the location of the shed). Do consider where your T1-11 exterior
sheathing joints will end up vis-a-vis the studs in the studwall. DAMHIKT.

Good excuse to get a framing nailer.