Posted to wpg.general,winnipeg.general,alt.home.repair
Mark Forkheim Mark Forkheim is offline

Default Aluminum soffit installation problem-How would the pros handlethis problem?

Actually, looking at picture 4, it does look like they are installing it
at an angle (look at the shadow from inside to out). If it seems like
too much of an angle, then either your idea of the furring strip or just
run a circular saw along the edge to cut down the 1.25".

As for 2 - I would think 2" is rather small. Either get a 4" hole saw or
do what they are doing in Picture 1 and use a jig saw.

Just my 2 cents

Mark

Me wrote:
Hi guys,

I'm planning on installing aluminum soffit and fascia on my garage. The
garage is ~20 years old, with existing wood soffit and fascia which
hangs 1.25" below the soffit. In other words, the soffit is countersunk
approx 1.25". The soffit and fascia look similar to this:
http://www.kurowski.com/dreamhomes/c...14_1468_RJ.JPG
. After doing some reading I have come up with two questions for which I
can not find an answer.

1) According to the installation guides the J-channel is screwed/nailed
into the existing soffit along the garage wall, the soffit is cut to the
appropriate length, then placed into the J-channel and the opposite end
is screwed/nailed into the into the bottom of the fascia board. Kind of
like this: http://www.rd.com/18262/article18262-6.html (look at the last
pic). However if I did that my soffit would be at an angle due to the
extra 1.25" of fascia board, which would look like sh*t. So, how would
the pros handle this problem?

-install it on an angle?
-run a furring strip along the garage to make the J-channel level with
the bottom of the fascia? (This seems like a lot of work.)
-purchase a special product to handle this situation?

F-channel is not an option because it would be difficult to screw into
stucco.

2) Currently, there are no ventilation holes. Should I drill a few 2"
holes in the existing wood soffit prior to installing the aluminum
soffit? I find my garage is very humid in the winter/spring and my tools
are rusting. The interior of the garage is unfinished (bare studs and
trusses). Any advice is greatly appreciated.

TIA,
Curt