Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

Default Water Flow Meter

"Michael Kennedy" wrote in message

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message
news

"Michael Kennedy" wrote in message
news

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news In article ,
"Michael Kennedy" wrote:

Does anyone know where to get a water flow meter that will close or
open a
switch when water is flowing? I have an AC unit that uses water to
cool
itself and it produces 110 deg water if you reduce the flow enough.
I'm
trying to build a setup that will switch between the on demand hot
water
heater and the AC unit for the house. The major difficulty is
determining if
there is water flow to the hot water lines in the hosue..

Thanks,

Mike

Jacuzzi heater safety switch is a NO switch that closes when water
flows
(i.e. pump is on and working.)

Thanks! I'll look into that. This may be exactly what I need. For use
with hot water, and flow switch.

Mike

My (very typical) automatic shower pump has a flow operated switch in
both the hot and cold sides, to start it up as soon as water flows as a
result of opening the water valve. It's based on a small magnet that
moves up against gravity in the water flow, and closes a reed switch.
When the valve is shut and water flow ceases, it sinks back down, and the
reed switch opens. If you know any plumbers, they're sure to have an old
pump that they have changed lying around, that you could cull the switch
assembly from.

Arfa

Hmm.. Automatic Shower pump? What exactly is that? I'm not sure we have
that here in the USA. Could you describe a little more? Even if we don't
have them I could build one eaisly enough with a hdd magnet and a
checkvalve and a gutted relay. Just don't know how reliable it would be.
Thanks Arfa!

Mike

OK. Stored hot water system in house (common). Header tank located on low
platform in roof space. Low pressure cold supply for basin / bath feeds
derived from same header tank. Shower room upstairs. Shower head only 3 feet
below header tank. Result ? Not a lot of pressure at the shower head -
certainly not enough to run a fancy 'power' or 'massager' head. Solution ?
An automatic shower pump. Take a look here for a picture

http://www.showerdoc.co.uk/shower-sp...Easiboost.html

It is a twin impeller pump that is 'broken into' the hot and cold feed pipes
to the shower. As long as the shower is off, it just sits there dormant.
However, as soon as you turn on the shower valve, water starts to flow
through the impeller housings, and up through the reed switch assemblies on
both sides. This switches the power to the pump motor via the (presettable)
speed control circuit. The pump raises the low feed pressure to over 20 psi.
Result ? A nice powerful hot and cold feed to your shower valve, allowing
you to have just about any type of shower head fitted, that you like.

I have a dead one here. Not sure how easy it would be to canibalise, but
might be able to fix you up with the switch unit from one side. It is very
sensitive, and in all the years I've used these pumps, the system has been
very reliable.

Arfa