Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Water Flow Meter

Does anyone know where to get a water flow meter that will close or open a
switch when water is flowing? I have an AC unit that uses water to cool
itself and it produces 110 deg water if you reduce the flow enough. I'm
trying to build a setup that will switch between the on demand hot water
heater and the AC unit for the house. The major difficulty is determining if
there is water flow to the hot water lines in the hosue..

Thanks,

Mike

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Michael Kennedy" wrote in message
Does anyone know where to get a water flow meter that will close or open a
switch when water is flowing? I have an AC unit that uses water to cool
itself and it produces 110 deg water if you reduce the flow enough. I'm
trying to build a setup that will switch between the on demand hot water
heater and the AC unit for the house. The major difficulty is determining
if there is water flow to the hot water lines in the hosue..

Thanks,

Mike

Take Kadaitcha Man's dick out of Matthew Edward Hennig's mouth and use that
instead of a meter.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Michael Kennedy wrote:

Does anyone know where to get a water flow meter that will close or open a
switch when water is flowing? I have an AC unit that uses water to cool
itself and it produces 110 deg water if you reduce the flow enough. I'm
trying to build a setup that will switch between the on demand hot water
heater and the AC unit for the house. The major difficulty is determining if
there is water flow to the hot water lines in the hosue..

Thanks,

Mike

At work we had a problem in finding a reliable way to detect water flow.
The mechanical types just get eaten up or jammed over time. The
electronic ones could not stand the environment it was subjected to
(High irradiation). So we set forth and designed a basic 2 probe
sensor in a gutted ball value to be used as the body.. shielded the
probes back to a safe environment where we use a osc circuit through
the probes in to a balanced system. when the waters moves a shift is
created in the signal..
etc..

http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5"

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Mon, 28 Jul 2008 20:39:14 -0400, "Michael Kennedy"
wrote:

Does anyone know where to get a water flow meter that will close or open a
switch when water is flowing? I have an AC unit that uses water to cool
itself and it produces 110 deg water if you reduce the flow enough.

Ooh, that sounds like a *good* move... (If you want to damage the HVAC
unit, that is!) I'd make sure that reduced flow is within the
manufacturer's ratings, before going any further.

I'm
trying to build a setup that will switch between the on demand hot water
heater and the AC unit for the house. The major difficulty is determining if
there is water flow to the hot water lines in the hosue..

There are switches that do just what you describe. Used in industrial
applications frequently for both similar reasons, or for safety
shutoffs when flow fails for some reason.

Many are simple vane or moving ball magnetic reed switches. You could
build one if you wanted with some simple parts. Not sure you'd really
want to however.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article ,
"Michael Kennedy" wrote:

Does anyone know where to get a water flow meter that will close or open a
switch when water is flowing? I have an AC unit that uses water to cool
itself and it produces 110 deg water if you reduce the flow enough. I'm
trying to build a setup that will switch between the on demand hot water
heater and the AC unit for the house. The major difficulty is determining if
there is water flow to the hot water lines in the hosue..

Thanks,

Mike

Jacuzzi heater safety switch is a NO switch that closes when water flows
(i.e. pump is on and working.)

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"Michael Kennedy" wrote:

Does anyone know where to get a water flow meter that will close or open
switch when water is flowing? I have an AC unit that uses water to cool
itself and it produces 110 deg water if you reduce the flow enough. I'm
trying to build a setup that will switch between the on demand hot water
heater and the AC unit for the house. The major difficulty is determining
if
there is water flow to the hot water lines in the hosue..

Thanks,

Mike

Jacuzzi heater safety switch is a NO switch that closes when water flows
(i.e. pump is on and working.)

Thanks! I'll look into that. This may be exactly what I need. For use with
hot water, and flow switch.

Mike

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Michael Kennedy" wrote in message
news

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"Michael Kennedy" wrote:

Does anyone know where to get a water flow meter that will close or open
switch when water is flowing? I have an AC unit that uses water to cool
itself and it produces 110 deg water if you reduce the flow enough. I'm
trying to build a setup that will switch between the on demand hot water
heater and the AC unit for the house. The major difficulty is
determining if
there is water flow to the hot water lines in the hosue..

Thanks,

Mike

Jacuzzi heater safety switch is a NO switch that closes when water flows
(i.e. pump is on and working.)

Thanks! I'll look into that. This may be exactly what I need. For use with
hot water, and flow switch.

Mike

My (very typical) automatic shower pump has a flow operated switch in both
the hot and cold sides, to start it up as soon as water flows as a result of
opening the water valve. It's based on a small magnet that moves up against
gravity in the water flow, and closes a reed switch. When the valve is shut
and water flow ceases, it sinks back down, and the reed switch opens. If you
know any plumbers, they're sure to have an old pump that they have changed
lying around, that you could cull the switch assembly from.

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message
news

"Michael Kennedy" wrote in message
news

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"Michael Kennedy" wrote:

[...]

Hmm.. Automatic Shower pump? What exactly is that? I'm not sure we have that
here in the USA. Could you describe a little more? Even if we don't have
them I could build one eaisly enough with a hdd magnet and a checkvalve and
a gutted relay. Just don't know how reliable it would be.
Thanks Arfa!

Mike

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Michael Kennedy" wrote in message

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message
news

"Michael Kennedy" wrote in message
news

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news In article ,
"Michael Kennedy" wrote:

[...]

OK. Stored hot water system in house (common). Header tank located on low
platform in roof space. Low pressure cold supply for basin / bath feeds
derived from same header tank. Shower room upstairs. Shower head only 3 feet
below header tank. Result ? Not a lot of pressure at the shower head -
certainly not enough to run a fancy 'power' or 'massager' head. Solution ?
An automatic shower pump. Take a look here for a picture

http://www.showerdoc.co.uk/shower-sp...Easiboost.html

It is a twin impeller pump that is 'broken into' the hot and cold feed pipes
to the shower. As long as the shower is off, it just sits there dormant.
However, as soon as you turn on the shower valve, water starts to flow
through the impeller housings, and up through the reed switch assemblies on
both sides. This switches the power to the pump motor via the (presettable)
speed control circuit. The pump raises the low feed pressure to over 20 psi.
Result ? A nice powerful hot and cold feed to your shower valve, allowing
you to have just about any type of shower head fitted, that you like.

I have a dead one here. Not sure how easy it would be to canibalise, but
might be able to fix you up with the switch unit from one side. It is very
sensitive, and in all the years I've used these pumps, the system has been
very reliable.

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Arfa Daily wrote in message
news

"Michael Kennedy" wrote in message
news

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"Michael Kennedy" wrote:

[...]

I've not come across those devices. Do you happen to know what the
resolution is between no flow and minimum recognisable flow. ? That is one
problem with ultrasonic Doppler shift flow sensor systems.

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"N Cook" wrote in message
Arfa Daily wrote in message
news

"Michael Kennedy" wrote in message
news

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news In article ,
"Michael Kennedy" wrote:

[...]

I couldn't put you a figure on it, but turning the shower valve just a
quarter of a turn out of perhaps 3 turns available, equating to just about a
dribble of water from the shower head, is enough to activate it - I just
went and checked for you, how dedicated is that ??!! :-)

Very reliable system. Never fails to activate the pump. This shower is used
every day of the year by at least 2 people, and often as many as 5 people. I
am on my third pump in about 20 years. First (cheapo) one developed a motor
fault after doing stirling service as the kids grew up. Second one just wore
out its bearings, and became very noisy. Current one is heavy duty version,
rated for 'continuous' use, and has been in service probably about 5 years.
If you know any plumbers, I'm sure that they would have an old one lying
around the yard somewhere. All the ones I have owned / seen, employ the reed
switch method to control them.

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Wed, 30 Jul 2008 18:37:29 -0400, "Michael Kennedy"
wrote:

:
:Hmm.. Automatic Shower pump? What exactly is that? I'm not sure we have that
:here in the USA. Could you describe a little more? Even if we don't have
:them I could build one eaisly enough with a hdd magnet and a checkvalve and
:a gutted relay. Just don't know how reliable it would be.
:Thanks Arfa!
:
:Mike
:

There are a number of flow switches available but only those made of plastics
(Noryl) would be considered inexpensive. Gentech International make several
inexpensive (approx $50 per one) including the FS-01 and FS-02.
http://www.gentechinternational.com/...1&Series =158

Farnell, a UK parts distributor, is represented by Newark in the USA
http://www.newark.com/ If you type "gentech international" (without quotes) into
the search box you will get a complete listing including the FS-01 nad FS-02.