Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Rick Frazier Rick Frazier is offline

Default Paste Wax or Liquid Paste Wax

John wrote:
Was working on a project the other day, and after doing the normal
sanding sealer coat, it was time to apply the paste wax. Well its been a
little hotter here of late, and on opening the tin, I found the wax was
more liquid than solid. So what the heck, applied it.

The resulting finish was the best I have had with the wax. Has anyone
else experienced this? Or used paste wax in this fashion?

Back in the old days, when I was in the (US) Army, we used to polish
floors for one reason or another... whether we wanted to or not.

Johnson's Paste wax was the typical application(because it was
inexpensive and available), and there was always a higher gloss if we
heated it first to make it liquid before application. I've always
assumed it's because the hot, fluid wax was able to flow deeper into the
ancient floor tile, thus producing a better, shinier finish once we
buffed it. (the hot wax treatment seemed to last at least twice as long
as hand application of the solid/paste product). To make it fluid, we'd
set the can on fire then choke off the flame by replacing the top
briefly and then poured and spread the liquid wax, which would have
significant issues today with safety, (potential for burns, setting off
smoke and fire alarms and such), but back then if we had sprinklers in
the barracks, we were in a "new" building...

Ah, the smell of fresh buffed, hot wax. Just the thought brings back
memories.

--Rick