Posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.d-i-y

Default 12V car cig lighter adapters - safe?

On Jul 30, 6:20*pm, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:
In article
,
* wrote:

I didn't. I simply don't go around disconnecting alternators with the
engine running. I try and design stuff to be foolproof, idiot proof
even - but not c**t proof.

That would explain your failure to see the spikes. Try repeatedly
switching off the rear window heater while measuring next time.

What's that supposed to do?

Then try it for real: switch off all accessories and waggle the loose
battery connection. Dont have your laptop connected

Err, why are you deliberately introducing a red herring? If a battery
terminal is loose the car won't start.

If the op wants to play chance games with their lappy they can, but at
least they're more aware of the problem now.

You use a laptop on the move? Takes all types.

If these events didnt occur IRL no-one would write about them, and car
electronics designers wouldnt design equipment to withstand them. They
do.

Including the PS built into the fag lighter adaptor?

I'm not denying you could possibly mess up something by adapting it to run
off a fag lighter socket - but that wasn't the question.

And I've got lots of home designed electronics in one car where I made
absolutely no provision for the sort of over voltage you imply. Without
failure.

I'm surprised you dont seem to spot the flaws in these points. But I'm
not really concerned, enjoy your appliances.

NT