Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bob La Londe Bob La Londe is offline

Default Stainless Steel Hooks & Rings

. 3.70...
"Bob La Londe" fired this volley in news:g6q9v2$l97$1
@aioe.org:

Like rod stock? Where would I find rod stock that small?

Bob La Londe
www.YumaBassMan.com

Bob, if I were doing it, I'd make the pivot rod from some high-chromium
drill rod (virtually corrosion proof), and mount that in a clevis, rather
than forming the entire assembly from a single piece of wire.

But that's just me...

OTOH, if you're VERY careful, use heat-sinks around the area, and use a
tiny pencil flame, you can partially anneal just the sections of the
drill rod that require bending, and leave the working length full-hard.

I like that idea. I just ordered some 17-7 .093 wire to play with for this.
Its a little heavy, but the commercial beam I have uses wire this thick.
Actually closer to .098. The hooks on my home made beams are only .079. If
I can't handle the thicker wire I may search for some a little smaller.

Would you oil quench it when finished for moderately quick cooling and
hardening?

Bob La Londe
www.YumaBassMan.com