Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner[_2_] Gunner[_2_] is offline

Default OT-Taxpayer Surprise #2

On Sat, 26 Jul 2008 14:25:40 -0400, Leon Fisk
wrote:

On Fri, 25 Jul 2008 22:41:57 -0700, Gunner
wrote:

pyotr filipivich wrote:
I'm going back to my bow.

I bought a box of bullets yesterday.

$21 for a box of 30 American Eagle .380

30 rd box????

Ive seen specialty ammo such as Glasers in short packs..but never seen
a 30 pack before

Hey Gunner,

Have you seen/heard anything about the copper bullet/lead
ban law in CA yet?

Must have been a slow news day in our local paper yesterday.
They ran an article very similar if not the same as this:

"Becky Davis, vice president of a Goleta ammunition
manufacturer, believes a ban on lead ammunition that takes
effect today in much of the state will have one very
noticeable impact on California sportsmen: They will bag
more deer.

"My suspicion is that they'll have a higher take rate this
year," said Davis, whose Custom Cartridge firm is one of
eight manufacturers to produce ammunition certified by state
regulators as lead-free.

The reason, she said, is that a copper bullet fired from a
good-quality cartridge "gives you a very high-quality,
humane kill."

The ban on lead ammunition applies to areas of the state
within the condor range, generally from the coast to the
eastern Sierra and from Stanislaus County on the north to
Los Angeles County on the south. It was signed into law last
fall by Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger, capping a years-long
campaign by conservationists to better protect the
California condor..." See:

http://www.venturacountystar.com/new...rs/?printer=1/

Hummm...no..I was not aware of it at all. Since Im inside the
range...Ill have to check into it.

Im a bit confused though..there are a couple dozen condors in the
wild..and mostly in a very small range. A postage stamp would fit on
the map covering their range....
http://www.dfg.ca.gov/wildlife/hunti...rvationAct.pdf
http://www.dfg.ca.gov/wildlife/hunti...nformation.pdf

It now bans just about any kind of lead bullet, including rimfires,
for hunting.

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/wildlife/hunting/condor/
After nearly a full year of public testimony, discussion, and
environmental analyses, the
Fish and Game Commission in December 2007 adopted regulations (Section
353, Title
14, CCR) that will prohibit the use of projectiles (bullets)
containing lead for hunting deer,
bear, wild pig, elk, and pronghorn antelope in areas designated as
California condor
range. Additionally, the regulations (Section 475, Title 14, CCR) will
also prohibit use of
lead in the same areas when hunting coyote, ground squirrels, and
other nongame
wildlife.
When:
The effective date for the new regulations will be July 1, 2008. It
will be illegal to hunt
the above species with lead projectiles beginning July 1.

What are the lead projectiles that are prohibited?
The Commission has defined projectiles so that the prohibited bullets
and other
projectiles can be understood. A “projectile” is defined as any
bullet, ball, sabot, slug,
buckshot or other device which is expelled from a firearm through a
barrel by force.
Additionally, for hunting nongame, projectiles include “shot” and
“pellets”; lead in
these projectiles is prohibited as well.
It will be illegal to use any projectile that contains more than 1
percent lead for hunting
big game or nongame within the affected area. This includes centerfire
as well as black-
powder/muzzle-loader, and rimfire projectiles.

That finished off any hunting with blackpowder arms, .22s etc etc.

Since I wasnt made aware of this..I rather suspect there is going to
be several million hunters and shooters that are going to wake up come
hunting season and be really really ****ed...

From a varminters blog.....

"There's another rimfire issue, and this one gives me cold sweats at
night. With all the attention being given to getting the lead out of
projectiles (the state of California may even ban leaded bullets),
what happens to the hapless .22 rimfire and the millions upon millions
of rimfire firearms and shooters if such a ban were imposed?

Given the soft steel used in rimfire barrels, coming up with an
alternative to soft lead at a reasonable cost will be a quite a
challenge. Yet, in my youth, I hunted squirrels with a lead-free
rimfire cartridge.

Back in the 1950s and early 1960s, there was a frangible .22 Short
cartridge featuring a 15-grain bullet at 1,710 fps. It was marketed as
the Remington Rocket and the Peters Thunderbolt, and they were sold in
a flat, Chicklet gum-type box holding 28 cartridges. The frangible
bullet was made from powdered iron and wax and was stamped out using
commercial pill making equipment. Today, we would probably use tin or
copper, rather than iron, because I understand the Rocket and
Thunderbolt did accelerate barrel wear."

On a side note..I wonder if they realize that most bullet proof vests
are largely transparent to solid copper bullets?

And that a frangible bullet wound is not something you are going to
come back from?