Posted to alt.hvac,alt.home.repair
Zyp Zyp is offline

Default Goodman AC Lemon

Noon-Air wrote:
I have a unit that is 4 years old. I've already replaced the
condenser coils. The compressor sounds like hell, and I had to put
a hard-start cap on it.

And now the evaporator coils need to be replaced. My AC has been
down for a week. First, Goodman told the service guys that they
didn't make the coils anymore. Then they came up with a
replacement which they said would be there overnight. Then when
the service guys went to pick it up, they said they didn't have
any in stock. So now I have in Florida heat without air conditioning
for another
week until Goodman finds a replacement coil and sends it here.

Why don't you just 'fix' the coil. It's copper. It's relatively
easy to remove, pressurize, locate, repair, and reinstall,
dehydrate, and charge. Just recently I had to fix a CARRIER 48SS package
unit, and an older
Day & Night. [Leaking evaporators.] What I find funny is I haven't
had to fix any Goodman's but, SUMMIT, ASPEN have been popular and
RHEEM's seem to be top on the list last year for leaks.

5 bucks says that 95% of the leaky Rheem coils were "M" coils in air
handlers, where the drains were not trapped properly.

Naw, these were older coils before the "N" series ..... when plastic
[fiberglass] pans weren't out yet. But for the sake of argument, we had
several brand new 5 ton ADP [Lennox] coils with leaky pans [craked] from the
factory. Wasn't fun changing them out either to new pans. After that, we
were opening the boxes on the dock before accpeting them.

--
Zyp