Posted to alt.hvac,alt.home.repair
Noon-Air Noon-Air is offline

Default Goodman AC Lemon

I have a unit that is 4 years old. I've already replaced the
condenser coils. The compressor sounds like hell, and I had to put a
hard-start cap on it.

And now the evaporator coils need to be replaced. My AC has been down
for a week. First, Goodman told the service guys that they didn't
make the coils anymore. Then they came up with a replacement which
they said would be there overnight. Then when the service guys went
to pick it up, they said they didn't have any in stock.

So now I have in Florida heat without air conditioning for another
week until Goodman finds a replacement coil and sends it here.

Why don't you just 'fix' the coil. It's copper. It's relatively easy to
remove, pressurize, locate, repair, and reinstall, dehydrate, and charge.

Just recently I had to fix a CARRIER 48SS package unit, and an older Day &
Night. [Leaking evaporators.] What I find funny is I haven't had to fix
any Goodman's but, SUMMIT, ASPEN have been popular and RHEEM's seem to be
top on the list last year for leaks.

5 bucks says that 95% of the leaky Rheem coils were "M" coils in air
handlers, where the drains were not trapped properly.