Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.camping
Mary Fisher Mary Fisher is offline

Default Solar/wind?

"R D S" wrote in message
I have been thinking about getting a solar panel to keep a fridge runnning
and keep a battery charged while camping.
Has anyone any experience/opinions?

We have a solar panel in the caravan which keeps the leisure battery topped
up. We're very happy with it, got it from Maplins, about £10. We got another
to keep the scooter battery topped up because it's only used for very short
journeys.

Also with energy prices being the way they are has anyone gone further
than this and installed solar in the home?

We haven't a pv array although we're considering it but we do have a solar
dhw panel which is brilliant.

Likewise with wind, a local electrical supplier reckoned he could get me a
2kw turbine for approx £1500. At one point I would have thought
alternative power was prohibitively expensive but now it looks as though
it may sense.

We looked into that but all the suppliers have told us that there are too
many buildings and trees around us for it to be efficient. Spouse would
still like one!

Yes, people have mocked us about our investments but we're having the last
laugh :-)

They also mocked us about signing up to keeping our gas prices at the (then)
current level. I bet they're eating their cynical words now!

Installing any alternative energy gadgets doesn't just give a financial
return (which isn't the reason most people do it anyway), it makes one aware
of helping the environment in other ways - by not squandering our resources.

Mary