Posted to alt.home.repair
RicodJour RicodJour is offline

Default Pressure Reducing Valve really necessary?

On Jul 26, 6:56*pm, JayN wrote:
Granted the pressure is high if it can briefly get to 100. *However,
given that the water heater in my townhouse has lasted 21 years
without a leak, would it be unreasonable for me to believe that the
water pressure really isn't a problem? * My mom lives in the same
development and she does not have a PRV valve either. *I only know of
one neighbor that has one.

Nobody is requiring that I install a PRV valve. *It is a question of
whether or not it is a good idea to install or a waste of money.

You seem to be trying to rationalize your decision not to spend the
extra money to put in a PRV and tank. *Whether it's 115 or 100 it's
still high. *You seem to think that a leak will occur at an averagepressurereading. *That is not how it works. *Or maybe you're hoping
that a low reading will convince the leak not to happen at all?

You are asking questions that people in your location are best able to
answer. *Our water district has some odd requirements and it is
pointless to argue with them. *Why not pick up the phone and call
another plumber? *If you don't have one you trust, ask neighbors and
friends for some names.

People here have mentioned valid reasons that a PRV makes sense. You
seem to be asking for someone to convince you - that is not the
function of a newsgroup. It's an exchange of ideas - whether you
choose to accept the advice and experience of other is up to you.

The plumber you originally spoke to has some issues that would tend to
throw his conclusion into question - that does not mean he was
offering bad advice, nor offering a good price. Have you picked up a
phone to get another opinion or are you still trying to solve this
theoretically?

Here's Watts page on PRVs to get you started on some research of your
own:
http://www.watts.com/pro/divisions/w...about_wprv.asp
Please note the part about reduced water consumption and cost savings.

You should also take a look at how you are quoting people in your
replies. A little tweaking needs to be done. You are not providing
an attribution to the quoted commentary which makes it difficult for
people to follow who said what. Top posting just adds to the problem.