Posted to alt.home.repair
Harry K Harry K is offline

Default Pressure Reducing Valve really necessary?

On Jul 24, 9:23*pm, JayN wrote:
I'm merely repeating what the plumber told me regarding the new tanks
versus the old tanks.

Anyway, I've had the new Watts pressure gauge, that I just bought,
connected to my hose faucet for an hour 11:05 pm to 12:05 am. *The
pressure did touch as high as 98 or 99, according to the red "memory"
needle, but it never got over 100. *Also, the pressure did not appear
to staying up at those levels (when I would go out periodically and
observe the meter for a few minutes at a time.) *It seemed that
pressure went above 90 it did not stay there very long. *There were
times I would see the needle stay around the 90 level, *but it would
hover around the 80 level just as frequently if not moreso than
hovering around 90. *I'm going to leave the pressure gauge connected
overnight to see how high the red "memory" needle reaches.

So far I'm getting the impression that my water pressure is relatively
high, but is not extraordinarily high. *I'm not seeing any reason why
I should have to sign anything indicating that if the T&P valve drips
that the water pressure will be deemed the cause of the drip until I
have a PRV valve installed. *Is that standard practice?

Yep. *I find the OPs post to be suspect. *Either he misunderstood the
plumber or the plumber is scamming bit time. *There is no way a PRV
and expansion tank would cosst $400 even if installed by a plumber.
The tank being unable to expand due to new type consstruction is the
purest BS. Even old typ tanks never expanded enough to accomodate
excessive pressure and the foam packing fro damn sure won't have any
effect either way on tank expansion which is essentially nill in any
case.

Harry K- Hide quoted text -

It sounds like he is trying to void the warantee by having you sign
the statement. I have never heard of that being done. Call a
different plumber and see what they do.

Even 90 without the spikes is too high by far for normal household
appliances. That is hard on all fixtures and especially valves such
as in washing machines and dish washers, sprinkler systems.

The $400 to install one plus surge tank seems high to me.

Harry K