Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
Jim Hall[_3_] Jim Hall[_3_] is offline

Default Vise Advice

If you're willing to give up a little jaw opening width. You can make a
wider wood pad for the adjustable jaw and with a dado blade cut a dado or
two in the pad so that when you attach it to the jaw with the dado(s) facing
the jaw you end up with square hole(s) for benchdog(s). If you're worried
about the wood screws not holding the pad with the added pressure of the
benchdogs, you could counter sink some holes in the face of the pad for nuts
and attach the pad with machine threaded screws rather than wood screws. If
you use round benchdogs you can drill holes down through the pad instead of
dadoing. That might allow you to mount the vice low enough on your new
bench to eliminate the problem you're having.

"No name" wrote in message
Dear Rec,

I have attached three pictures to illustrate my questions. I think I have
made them small enough for easy download, but I can't be sure until after
I post them, so..sorry if they come out big.

I have a 10" wide, quick acting woodworking vise that I got from my dad.
I currently have it mounted on my workbench, but I am planning a bench
upgrade (better, flatter top) and I want to remount the vise to give me
the maximum benefit of its features.

As you can see in the pictures, I have attached maple the jaw faces. If
you will note, the moving jaw has a lip on the top that extends full width
and stands proud of the top by about 5/16". The thickness of the lip is
about half the jaw thickness.

Currently, I have the vise mounted so the lip extends above the plane of
my workbench top. I have also drilled a set of dog holes opposite the
vise with the thinking that I can use the vise in combination with dogs to
clamp larger pieces to the bench top. This works OK although the 5/16"
lip doesn't have all that much of a grab face. The down side of this
set-up is that if I'm moving pieces around on my bench and they stick out
over the sides, they invariably hit the vise lip and I mar the piece.

I would like, therefore, to solicit from the collected wisdom of this
group with the following questions:

1. Have you ever seen a vise like this before? How was it mounted
relative to the workbench top?

2. Would you recommend I mount this vise to continue to use the lip with
the dogs or do you feel I should mount it lower to get the lip out of the
way?

3. If I mount the vise lower, should I retain the current maple jaw
liners or should I make a set that would extend up to the bench top,
perhaps routing away part of the wood so it tucks up against the lip?

4. Are there any other mounting/use options I have overlooked?

As I said, I got this vise from my dad. I imagine I could probably find a
better one, but I want to keep this vise (and al the tools I inherited) as
working tools that are part of what I create in my shop.

Thanks for your input,

Bill Leonhardt