Doug Miller

Default Can I save money on a shed if I build it?

In article , Joe Shmoe wrote:
Morgans wrote:

"jm" wrote in message
om...
Or do I come out about even if I just by the premade kit from Home
Depot or Lowe's. A guy at the store said I might save $50.00.
Thanks.

You'll save more than that. My boys and I built a shed two years ago for $950
that would have cost us $1300 to buy from Lowe's, and have a better product.

You would build it to be more sturdy, at the same price, if you built it
yourself. Plus the best reason to build it yourself, is that you built it
yourself. :-)

Yep. And I got an added bonus in having my sons (age 13 and 10 at the time)
help me with it.

You also get to choose better quality materials. I bought a kit this
summer; a lot of the boards were green at the time. Now they're warped.

I used treated plywood for the floor. The kits use standard plywood, and
treated is available as an outrageously overpriced option.

I also hand-picked the 2x4s for studs and rafters. I'm sure I got much better
wood than I would have in a kit.

--
Regards,