Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
cavelamb himself[_4_] cavelamb himself[_4_] is offline

Default Somewhat OT but has some metal content

Ed Huntress wrote:

And at one time you could buy hard Arkansas stones that were ground with a
hollow, made for re-sharpening double-edged blades. I haven't seen one of
those for a while -- oh, maybe 40 years now. g They were maybe 2-1/2
inches long, 1-3/4 inches wide.

They worked pretty well on the old carbon-steel blue blades. (Yes, those are
what I started shaving with.)

--
Ed Huntress

Slightly of thread, I have an old antique straight razor and need a
strop to sharpen it.

So what is so soecial about a strop?

Isn't it just a piece of hard yellow lattago leather?
Or is the something more to it?

--

Richard

(remove the X to email)