Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Bending Door Hinges?

On Jul 24, 6:09 am, "Swingman" wrote:

Don't count on many recognizing the term these days.

I never knew it had a name! I have heard of swaging rifle barrels for
fit, swaging bullets, and swaging as a machining process.

Swaging a hinge is an intuitive process when you look closely at the leaves,
the barrel of the hinge, and the jaws of the vice. To modify a swaged hinge
to fit the circumstances is where the "nailset trick" comes in.

It's much easier to do than explain ... good luck with it.

I feel like Jethro Bodine. You know, the scene where he comes in with
a huge tree saw and a hammer and tells Jed, "I know what I'm gonna be
Uncle Jed, I'm gonna be me a brain surgeon!"

All these years, I too thought like your grandpa that I was just
bending hinge leaves. I have "swaged them" in a large machinist's
vise I have by marking them with an index mark (to tell how much I
have bent them) and then using a piece of 4X4 whacked with a large
hammer.

I have even given doors a love tap while in place after replacing the
jamb side with much longer screws to keep from tearing up the jamb. I
have someone keep pressure on the door by lifting from the knob to
control bouncing, and then I give it tap using a small sledge with a
4x4 against the hinge. It works great.

I wonder if I can get more money for that know that I am "in the know"
about it... ;^)

Probably not. But looking concerned at your client and telling him
your diagnosis is "I am not sure.... we may have to swage" sure sounds
a lot better than we probably just need to adjust the hinges.

Swaging... I love it. Wait till I spring that one on the boys! I can
see it now. "Looks like you need to swage them sombitches a little
bit and you'll be fine". I can see the looks of panic when I start to
walk off.

Still chuckling...

Robert