Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Wanderer[_3_] The Wanderer[_3_] is offline

Default Moving sockets 6 inches

On Thu, 24 Jul 2008 09:31:57 +0100, Bruce wrote:

The Wanderer wrote:

On Wed, 23 Jul 2008 22:47:40 +0100, Jim wrote:

"The Wanderer" wrote in message
.. .
On Wed, 23 Jul 2008 22:06:19 +0100, Jim wrote:

Hi all

I need to move a couple of sockets by about 6 inches but there's no spare
cable to play with.

Is there an approved method for extending cables if the 'extension' is to
be
plastered over.

No, no, don't even think about it - this where the true amateur bodger,
sorry DIYer, will resort to chocolate strip, some pvc tape and a foot of
flex buried in the wall......

As it happens I've corrected similar in my present house, amongst quite a
few other nasties.

What did you do to correct

Did away with the particular socket, which had been installed for an
aquarium which the previous owner had.

And the outside lights that had been wired off the back of a 13A socket in
flex.

And the two-way switching to a pool light that had connector strip in an
old plastic paint tub set into the paving around the pool and that was
actually full of water and still alive.

And the bare end of live cable I found in the loft that had been stripped,
the cores separated and then just left.

I could go on......

So you don't believe that crimping the cables is a viable option, as
several others have suggested?

Did I say that? I think you're trying to put words in my mouth.

I have a personal aversion to joints in cable runs if its at all possible
to avoid them. All right, my experience is in power distribution, but u/g
cables per se don't go faulty, it's invariably the joints that fault.

--
the dot wanderer at tesco dot net