Posted to rec.woodworking
Rima Neas Rima Neas is offline

Default Bending Door Hinges?

"Swingman" wrote in message

You may be able to accomplish what you want by either changes hinges that
have a different swage, or swage/straighten the leaves on the ones already
mounted.

Take a look at the following hinge catalog and scroll down a bit to the
swaged hinge section.

http://www.pbbinc.com/website/catalo...nformation.pdf

As a side note: I don't often meet anyone these days who doesn't look at
you
with a blank stare when you talk about 'swaging' a door hinge. When I was
kid I learned to modify/swage a hinge using a metal vise and/or hammer
from
my grandfather....

www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/14/08
KarlC@ (the obvious)

Many thanks for the info Karl. I feel less foolish about this endeavor now
that I know there is a word for it!! Methinks it will be safer to remove
the hinges from the door and screw them into some 2x4s then use the
nail-in-the-leaves trick. Alas, as the original post indicated, 1/8" seems
too wide a gap for simple shimming--the hinge would stand proud of the
mortise. So off to some un-swage.

Cheers, Shawn

PS: On your vise/hammer technique... do you grab the leaf, put in the pin,
and tap to get the right shape? I am sure it takes some skill, but am I
understanding the approach?