Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall Andy Hall is offline

Default Moving sockets 6 inches

Andy Hall coughed up some electrons that declared:

On 2008-07-23 22:06:19 +0100, "Jim" said:

Hi all

I need to move a couple of sockets by about 6 inches but there's no spare
cable to play with.

Is there an approved method for extending cables if the 'extension' is to
be plastered over.

Cheers

Jim

Yes.

You need to have some crimp connectors and a decent crimping tool.

May I just add for the OP: "Decent" means a proper ratchet crimper with
compatible crimps.

Cheers

Tim

Yes it does indeed. Looking at web sites such as TLC, it's about £20
for a ratchet job vs. £13 for without. The important point is getting
consistency. Crimps are about £3 for 100.

There are kits around with a tool plus assortment of crimps. The
trouble is that most have the simple, basic squeeze tool and the crimps
are not always that great. RS et al. do some decent ones with several
hundred crimps, but prices are gtting to the £100 range, which unless
one is going to use the crimps probably aren't worth it.
Nonetheless, I think that an electrical wholesaler like TLC or WF would
be the place to look for both the tool and the crimps as opposed to a
DIY store which will tend to sell the cheap non-ratchet kits.