Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman Swingman is offline

Default Bending Door Hinges?

"Rima Neas" wrote in message
I have a door (utility entry) that is tight against the hinge side, but

gaps
against the strike side. Easy fix seems to be straightening the hinges a
little (where the flat meets the bend around the pin) so the leaves don't
touch as tightly, thus pushing the door over a little. Has anyone ever

done
this and is there a good way to do it? 1/8" over will look perfect, but
that is more than you can get by putting shims under the hinge.

You may be able to accomplish what you want by either changes hinges that
have a different swage, or swage/straighten the leaves on the ones already
mounted.

Take a look at the following hinge catalog and scroll down a bit to the
swaged hinge section.

http://www.pbbinc.com/website/catalo...nformation.pdf

As a side note: I don't often meet anyone these days who doesn't look at you
with a blank stare when you talk about 'swaging' a door hinge. When I was a
kid I learned to modify/swage a hinge using a metal vise and/or hammer from
my grandfather. I don't know if it was just that there were no other options
available back then, or that my grandfather was just cheap and bought a
train load of one type that wasn't swaged (besides owning a saw mill, he
also ran a hardware store), but I did a lot of it one summer for some reason
.... never thought it was anything but usual.

IIRC, at one time I actually saw a tool for doing this on a mounted door,
but can't find a hint of it anywhere.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/14/08