Posted to uk.d-i-y
nightjar nightjar is offline

Default OT - Driving In France, new law!

"Lobster" wrote in message
nightjar cpb@ wrote:
"Dave Baker" wrote in message
"Peter Lynch" wrote in message

This has been in force in Spain for some time. When I went over
in 2006, I just bought a cheapo one from Lidl (about £2). A lot
of drivers there keep it slung over the back of the driver's seat.
(In spain you also have to carry a "danger" triangle, by law, too)

Mine is a Class 1 lightweight sleeved vest that simply tucks into the map
pocket behind the passenger's seat.

What's the difference between Class 1 and 2 (and any others?) - anyone
know if you need a particular type for driving in Europe?

Class 1 is the lowest approved level of protection. Class 3 is the highest
and is intended for constant use on motorways. The difference appears to be
the amount of reflective material used. SFAIK, the class is not specified
for use in cars in any of the european legislation.

Bit worried as I've just blown 1.78 GBP on a Class 2 hi-vis vest off ebay
having read about this: hope to God I haven't wasted my money... ;-)

Colin Bignell