Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bob Eager Bob Eager is offline

Default OT - Driving In France, new law!

On Tue, 22 Jul 2008 23:25:06 UTC, chris French
wrote:

In message , Dave Baker
writes

"Peter Lynch" wrote in message
On Tue, 22 Jul 2008 12:47:38 +0100, DavidM wrote:
In case you haven't heard (and I didn't know), just picked this up
from the Rover 75 and MG ZT Owners Club forum. A later post suggest
that it applies in most other European countries as well (except UK -
yet):

snip

This has been in force in Spain for some time. When I went over
in 2006, I just bought a cheapo one from Lidl (about รบ2). A lot
of drivers there keep it slung over the back of the driver's seat.
(In spain you also have to carry a "danger" triangle, by law, too)

Also as I recall in Spain if you wear glasses you have to carry a spare pair
in the car. These rules seem bloody crazy to me. How likely is it that your
glasses will break during a single car journey?

Not that common, but when it does, it can be a right PITA - BTDTGTTS. Ok
if you are just a few miles away from home in town. Getting me and the
two kids the 20+ miles we are regularly away from home, with a poor bus
service less OK.

Maybe it makes more sense if
you're going over there on holiday for two weeks but every Spanish motorist
having to take two pairs of specs every time they go shopping is just
lunacy.

Not really, you just stick a spare pare in the car and leave them there.

It's no doubt been very good for the Spanish optician's industry
though.

surely most people just keep an old pair in the car, that's what I've
done for years. The prescription might be slightly 'off' but they are
fine.

I just have a cheap pair from Glasses Direct - 15 quid.

http://www.diybanter.com