Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lobster Lobster is offline

Default OT - Driving In France, new law!

Bob Mannix wrote:
"Dave Baker" wrote in message
"Peter Lynch" wrote in message
On Tue, 22 Jul 2008 12:47:38 +0100, DavidM wrote:
In case you haven't heard (and I didn't know), just picked this up
from the Rover 75 and MG ZT Owners Club forum. A later post suggest
that it applies in most other European countries as well (except UK -
yet):

snip

This has been in force in Spain for some time. When I went over
in 2006, I just bought a cheapo one from Lidl (about £2). A lot
of drivers there keep it slung over the back of the driver's seat.
(In spain you also have to carry a "danger" triangle, by law, too)

Also as I recall in Spain if you wear glasses you have to carry a spare
pair in the car. These rules seem bloody crazy to me. How likely is it
that your glasses will break during a single car journey? Maybe it makes
more sense if you're going over there on holiday for two weeks but every
Spanish motorist having to take two pairs of specs every time they go
shopping is just lunacy. It's no doubt been very good for the Spanish
optician's industry though.
--

Well, yes, if they are stupid enough to *take* 2 pairs with them every trip.
More sensible people just keep their spare pair in the car...

Never having (irretrievably) broken my specs since I was a kid I've
never really thought about the implications of breaking a pair when
miles away from home in the car; but this thread has made me think and
the above is a damned good idea! Will move my spare pair to the car this
morning!

David