Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim S Tim S is offline

Default OT - Driving In France, new law!

geoff coughed up some electrons that declared:

In message , DavidM
writes
In case you haven't heard (and I didn't know), just picked this up
from the Rover 75 and MG ZT Owners Club forum. A later post suggest
that it applies in most other European countries as well (except UK -
yet):

"A new law (applicable now) means any person planning to drive in
France must carry a reflective jacket from now on. In an emergency,
the jacket must be easily accessible by the driver and must be put on
before leaving the car, day or night, regardless of visibility. As of
1 October 2008, any person found not complying will face a 135 euro
fine (90 euro if paid early).

I've been carrying a couple for two years now - better move them out of
the boot

Odd, because when I went to Belgium in Nov 2006, I was reading up on the
continental rules on some website. As I result I've got a jacket under the
driver's seat.

Now, I can't remember if the website said mandatory in Belgium, or France or
whether I misread it or whether the site was talking nonsense, but I
formulated the opinion back then that I had to have one or I might get
busted.

So this thread took me by surprise :=0

Cheers

Tim