Posted to alt.home.repair
Eric[_4_] Eric[_4_] is offline

Default What does it harm...

JC wrote:

"charlie" wrote in message

"JC" wrote in message
when a power surge or lightening strike somewhere along the line cooks a
microwave oven? Is there some internal breaker that can be replaced? I'm
gettin tired of buying new ones every four to six months.

JC

there are internal fuses in microwaves that you can check. however, the
circuit board could also be fried and it will be cheaper to replace the
unit rather than repair it in that case.

Thanks folks. I've had the surge protectors. For some reason they work
everywhere else but on the dang microwaves. I even tried a couple of
expensive ones. I just bought another microwave so I'm going to take the old
out to the workshop and take the cover off and look around. I was kinda
worried about radiation but I figure, heck in the military I worked for
awhile in an Atlas F missle silo and I'm still here.

JC

About surge protectors, the price you pay has nothing to do with how good they
are. The thing that matters most is how fast they can respond to a surge and
then how much energy they can handle. You need to find surge protectors that
respond in LESS than 5ns (nanoseconds) and then the higher the joules the
better.
I too had problems with surges, but now i have a decent protector between
every electronic device (about 7$ each )and its outlet, plus i bought
a "whole house" surge box ($75) thats wired into the main panel. I've not had
any trouble since - none - and its been several years.
I would recommend - read read read till you know what is what about surge
protectors.
Eric