Posted to alt.home.repair

Default What does it harm...

when a power surge or lightening strike somewhere along the line cooks a
microwave oven? Is there some internal breaker that can be replaced? I'm
gettin tired of buying new ones every four to six months.

JC

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 21, 9:26�am, "JC" wrote:
when a power surge or lightening strike somewhere along the line cooks a
microwave oven? Is there some internal breaker that can be replaced? I'm
gettin tired of buying new ones every four to six months.

JC

get a whole house surge supressor put on the main panel.......

A friend had this trouble and also put a hefty UPS on his microwave,
it had $$ protection if anything got fried, he hasnt had a problem
since
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"JC" wrote:

when a power surge or lightening strike somewhere along the line cooks a
microwave oven? Is there some internal breaker that can be replaced? I'm
gettin tired of buying new ones every four to six months.

JC

Lightning is very, very fast and will blow past most fuses and circuit
breakers without blinking. So it's a long shot, but open up the
microwave and at least check the fuse in there.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"JC" wrote in message
when a power surge or lightening strike somewhere along the line cooks a
microwave oven? Is there some internal breaker that can be replaced? I'm
gettin tired of buying new ones every four to six months.

JC

there are internal fuses in microwaves that you can check. however, the
circuit board could also be fried and it will be cheaper to replace the unit
rather than repair it in that case.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"charlie" wrote in message

"JC" wrote in message
when a power surge or lightening strike somewhere along the line cooks a
microwave oven? Is there some internal breaker that can be replaced? I'm
gettin tired of buying new ones every four to six months.

JC

there are internal fuses in microwaves that you can check. however, the
circuit board could also be fried and it will be cheaper to replace the
unit rather than repair it in that case.

Thanks folks. I've had the surge protectors. For some reason they work
everywhere else but on the dang microwaves. I even tried a couple of
expensive ones. I just bought another microwave so I'm going to take the old
out to the workshop and take the cover off and look around. I was kinda
worried about radiation but I figure, heck in the military I worked for
awhile in an Atlas F missle silo and I'm still here.

JC

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 15:20:53 GMT, "JC"
wrote Re What does it harm...:

Thanks folks. I've had the surge protectors. For some reason they work
everywhere else but on the dang microwaves. I even tried a couple of
expensive ones. I just bought another microwave so I'm going to take the old
out to the workshop and take the cover off and look around. I was kinda
worried about radiation but I figure, heck in the military I worked for
awhile in an Atlas F missle silo and I'm still here.

If you are worried about radiation from an OFF microwave oven with the
cover removed, you probably ought not to waste your time on it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"JC" wrote in message
news

"charlie" wrote in message

"JC" wrote in message
when a power surge or lightening strike somewhere along the line cooks a
microwave oven? Is there some internal breaker that can be replaced? I'm
gettin tired of buying new ones every four to six months.

JC

there are internal fuses in microwaves that you can check. however, the
circuit board could also be fried and it will be cheaper to replace the
unit rather than repair it in that case.

Thanks folks. I've had the surge protectors. For some reason they work
everywhere else but on the dang microwaves. I even tried a couple of
expensive ones. I just bought another microwave so I'm going to take the
old out to the workshop and take the cover off and look around. I was
kinda worried about radiation but I figure, heck in the military I worked
for awhile in an Atlas F missle silo and I'm still here.

JC

note that there is a large cap in there that will have enough stored power
to give you a fatal zap. don't poke around too much.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Marina" wrote in message
"JC" wrote in
news

"charlie" wrote in message

"JC" wrote in message
[...]

Un-plug appliances after each use. It's a pain, but you'll get used to it
after a while. I do that with mine. I leave a small sticky note over the
start button to remind me.

That's a good idea, but I doubt if me, nor my wife would ever remember that
and the wife hates sticky notes. G

JC

Posted to alt.home.repair

"charlie" wrote in message

"JC" wrote in message
news

"charlie" wrote in message

"JC" wrote in message
[...]

I'm just going to look for things that look like a fuse. I've gotten zapped
by "dead" capacitors before. Thanks for the reminder.

JC

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 21, 8:26*am, "JC" wrote:
when a power surge or lightening strike somewhere along the line cooks a
microwave oven? Is there some internal breaker that can be replaced? I'm
gettin tired of buying new ones every four to six months.

JC

Put it on a power strip and turn it off after use, some microwaves
consume maybe 1$ a month on standby.
Posted to alt.home.repair

JC wrote:

"charlie" wrote in message

"JC" wrote in message
when a power surge or lightening strike somewhere along the line cooks a
microwave oven? Is there some internal breaker that can be replaced? I'm
gettin tired of buying new ones every four to six months.

JC

there are internal fuses in microwaves that you can check. however, the
circuit board could also be fried and it will be cheaper to replace the
unit rather than repair it in that case.

Thanks folks. I've had the surge protectors. For some reason they work
everywhere else but on the dang microwaves. I even tried a couple of
expensive ones. I just bought another microwave so I'm going to take the old
out to the workshop and take the cover off and look around. I was kinda
worried about radiation but I figure, heck in the military I worked for
awhile in an Atlas F missle silo and I'm still here.

JC

About surge protectors, the price you pay has nothing to do with how good they
are. The thing that matters most is how fast they can respond to a surge and
then how much energy they can handle. You need to find surge protectors that
respond in LESS than 5ns (nanoseconds) and then the higher the joules the
better.
I too had problems with surges, but now i have a decent protector between
every electronic device (about 7$ each )and its outlet, plus i bought
a "whole house" surge box ($75) thats wired into the main panel. I've not had
any trouble since - none - and its been several years.
I would recommend - read read read till you know what is what about surge
protectors.
Eric

Posted to alt.home.repair

"JC" wrote in message
when a power surge or lightening strike somewhere along the line cooks a
microwave oven? Is there some internal breaker that can be replaced? I'm
gettin tired of buying new ones every four to six months.

JC

Find one of the spring type timers (maybe 0 to 30 minutes) connect that
into the line. Then just turn the knob to 5 minutes, put in the popcorn for
4 minutes, and enjoy.
Here's an example of a 15 minute timer.
http://www.nextag.com/Intermatic-PAR...39/prices-html

I don't see any current ratings so you may need a seperate relay, it would
be nice to have a large space between the contacts when open.

Mike

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 21, 9:26*am, "JC" wrote:
when a power surge or lightening strike somewhere along the line cooks a
microwave oven? Is there some internal breaker that can be replaced? I'm
gettin tired of buying new ones every four to six months.

JC

Do you have a surge protector on that circuit? Have you looked
into Whole House protection? They go in at the breaker box.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 13:26:29 GMT, "JC"
wrote:

when a power surge or lightening strike somewhere along the line cooks a
microwave oven? Is there some internal breaker that can be replaced? I'm
gettin tired of buying new ones every four to six months.

JC

It may have a fuse. Unplug it, wait a few days and carefully open it.
Microwaves have big capacitors that deserve respect, and time to
drain.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Caesar Romano" wrote in message
If you are worried about radiation from an OFF microwave oven with the
cover removed, you probably ought not to waste your time on it.

But what if there is a crack in the lead lining holding the uranium?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 08:03:18 -0700, Smitty Two
wrote:

In article ,
"JC" wrote:

when a power surge or lightening strike somewhere along the line cooks a
microwave oven? Is there some internal breaker that can be replaced? I'm
gettin tired of buying new ones every four to six months.

JC

Lightning is very, very fast and will blow past most fuses and circuit
breakers without blinking. So it's a long shot, but open up the
microwave and at least check the fuse in there.

I had a microwave like that. The problem was a little fuse (.25*1.25
inch glass fuse, obvious once the cover is removed), which cost 69
cents to replace.

BTW, that microwave is 22 years old now and still works fine (although
it's only 700W so it has to run longer).
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"Never underestimate the power of stupid
people in large groups"