The Natural Philosopher

Default Installing toilet in internal bathroom

David wrote:

As a follow-up to my recent post on minimum bedroom sizes; I want to
create a bedroom by moving the bathroom to an internal room, and the
major issue with doing this seems to involve moving the toilet.
Could the panel let me know if there's a flaw in my plan?

The new loo will basically be advanced forward from the current
location by about 6 feet, then right about 4 feet, where it will be in
the middle of the bathroom, against a stud partition (behind which is
the middle of the old bathroom, soon to be a bedroom). I want to take
the soil pipe straight back from the loo, through/under the partition,
and between the new bedroom floor and the ceiling below, parallel to
the joists, and through the external wall, where it will emerge 6 feet
away from the old exit point. It will join the soil stack at the same
place as before.

I reckon I'll have enough fall on the soil pipe as it runs under the
bedroom floor; but if not I could always break through the ceiling
below (a kitchen; OK?) which is pretty high and very poor condition,
and could easily take a suspended ceiling 3 or 4 inches lower.

At the moment the bit that most worries me is how to connect the
toilet to the soilpipe under the bedroom floor. Should the loo have a
vertical or horizontal soil pipe exit?; am I likely to be able to bury
it all in the 4" stud partition and/or under the floor? Are there
ways to do this (other than Saniflow - no thanks!) which I don't know
about? Unfortunately because this is a corner terrace there is very
little outside wall at the back of the house to play with, so I can't
site the toilet in a corner, which would allow boxing in of the soil
pipe in the bathroom or bedroom. It has to traverse the bedroom in
the middle.

Hope I've explained the problem and the layout clearly! Thanks for
any advice. (Watch for my follow up in a few weeks on ventilation
requirements!)

David

This was covered elsewhere. You need IMHO a horizontal outlet from the
pan to get as much height as possible, and an overall run with at least
a 1:60 slope. I'd advise running basin/bath wastes seperately. Pipe must
be 4". You are supposed to have a rodding eye where it bends 9o degrees
- essentially outside in your cae.