Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

Default AT&T/Bellsouth removes alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

mac davis wrote in
:

On Sun, 20 Jul 2008 12:22:46 -0400, Jack Stein
wrote:

snip
So are you saying Comcast and Verizon will drop Usenet because they
can't afford the storage?

snip

My take is that affording it is not the issue, but return on
investment/labor..

When I'm in a group of folks talking about "news groups", they all
think I'm talking about browser based "forums"...
I doubt that a very large percentage of ISP customers even KNOW that
Usenet even exists..

If I ran an ISP, I'd look at what it costs in
equipment/labor/support/etc. and probably drop it or, as Comcast did,
farm it out..

mac

Verizon cut way down on their usenet. As I understood it, it was mainly
a one-man job, ossibly only part-time, but that may just show how little
I know about the nuts and bolts of the job. Now with more than 90% of
storage requirements and to 98% of administration eliminated, it almost
certainly is only a one man part-time job.

Still, I do not expect Verizon to keep usenet all that much longer,
especially not if I have underestimated the manpower required.

--
Best regards
Han