Posted to rec.woodworking
PCPaul PCPaul is offline

Default Bike wheel for a bandsaw..

On Sat, 19 Jul 2008 22:57:07 +0000, Jay R wrote:

Why not look at Grainger or McMaster Carr?

They have a bunch of varied size rigid pulley type wheels for a fraction
of what you are looking at doing.

I would, but I'm in the UK. And we don't seem to have places that sell
general engineering stuff to the public (or for sane prices)..

Unless anybody knows different? (I'm near Gloucester if that helps)

I don't think a bike wheel will hold the tension you need to run a
bandsaw blade true.

Well I know a 12" kids bike wheel can hold my weight and I'm 200lbs, so
it's in the ballpark for 1/4" blades. As others have said though, the
bearings might not last too long...