Posted to rec.woodworking
Jay R Jay R is offline

Default Bike wheel for a bandsaw..

Why not look at Grainger or McMaster Carr?

They have a bunch of varied size rigid pulley type wheels for a fraction of
what you are looking at doing.

I don't think a bike wheel will hold the tension you need to run a bandsaw
blade true.

"Andy Dingley" wrote in message
On Mon, 14 Jul 2008 10:35:51 GMT, PCPaul wrote:

I'm repairing a two wheel bandsaw and need a top wheel for it. OEM spares
are very expensive (£100+, ~$200) so I was wondering if a 12" bicycle
wheel could be used?

Yes, however a good quality bike wheel, well built on a decent hub, will
cost more than a bandsaw wheel. A junkyard bike wheel, with poor quality
spokes and no tension, won't do it.

If you really care, go over to rec.bikes.tech and ask Jobst Brandt, the
guy who wrote the book (literally) on bike wheel theory. If you just
want to tweak up a wheel to run true, go to the late, great Sheldon
Brown's website and read the step-by-step instructions.