Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Andy Cuffe Andy Cuffe is offline

Default Trying to repair Sylvania 6842-PEM plasma T.V.

On Fri, 18 Jul 2008 04:17:14 GMT, "aarpay via ElectronicsKB.com"
u36611@uwe wrote:

No, I did not try that - Actually, someone from a different message board
recommended this particular replacement capacitor (Radioshack item number
272-134: 0.047 microfarads, ceramic-disc capacitor 50WV DC)- but I have no
idea what the rating of the original capacitor was. I guess I could put
another capacitor into the board and try to measure what the voltage drop
across it is - Honestly, I don't know what causes a capacitor to blow up - is
it too much voltage or too much current? - Any suggestions are welcomed

It sounds like your replacement cap has too low a voltage rating.
..047 is much too small to replace an electrolytic capacitor. If you
can find enough of the original cap to identify it, then you will at
least know what you need. It's not uncommon for caps to fail from
heat and old age, or a defect in the original cap.
Andy Cuffe