Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Trying to repair Sylvania 6842-PEM plasma T.V.

Hi all:

I turned on my TV, heard a loud "pop!", then the TV went into standby mode.
If I attempt to turn it on, it goes back into standby. I found a blown
capacitor inside the power board, replaced it, and the TV would come on for
about 10 seconds, then the capacitor would blow again. I replaced it twice,
and it keeps blowing out. Does anyone have any advice, suggestions,
experience? Apparently, a lot of people are having the same problem (blown
capacitor) with this TV. I'm hoping I can fix it myself; I just need someone
to help me figure out what the problem is. Thanks a lot!!!!

Al

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

aarpay via ElectronicsKB.com wrote:
Hi all:

I turned on my TV, heard a loud "pop!", then the TV went into standby mode.
If I attempt to turn it on, it goes back into standby. I found a blown
capacitor inside the power board, replaced it, and the TV would come on for
about 10 seconds, then the capacitor would blow again. I replaced it twice,
and it keeps blowing out. Does anyone have any advice, suggestions,
experience? Apparently, a lot of people are having the same problem (blown
capacitor) with this TV. I'm hoping I can fix it myself; I just need someone
to help me figure out what the problem is. Thanks a lot!!!!

The problem is likely that several more capacitors are on their way out.
Other possibilities are that you did not ascertain the reason for the
failure of the cap; or that it took something else out when it went. If
you don't have an ESR meter, your only option is to replace all of the
caps in the vicinity and try it again (after checking everything else
you can for faults).

Conversely, someone else on the group might have specific information
which relates to your tv.

jak

Al

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Jul 17, 12:39*pm, "aarpay via ElectronicsKB.com" u36611@uwe
wrote:
Hi all:

I turned on my TV, heard a loud "pop!", then the TV went into standby mode.
If I attempt to turn it on, it goes back into standby. I found a blown
capacitor inside the power board, replaced it, and the TV would come on for
about 10 seconds, then the capacitor would blow again. I replaced it twice,
and it keeps blowing out. Does anyone have any advice, suggestions,
experience? Apparently, a lot of people are having the same problem (blown
capacitor) with this TV. I'm hoping I can fix it myself; I just need someone
to help me figure out what the problem is. Thanks a lot!!!!

Al

If a capacitor blows out, then it is probably having a higher voltage
on it than it is rated for. You don't say what the voltage rating was
for the original capacitor or what the voltage rating was for the
replacement. Did you try to measure the voltage in the 10 seconds
before the replacement blew??

Bob Hofmann
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

No, I did not try that - Actually, someone from a different message board
recommended this particular replacement capacitor (Radioshack item number
272-134: 0.047 microfarads, ceramic-disc capacitor 50WV DC)- but I have no
idea what the rating of the original capacitor was. I guess I could put
another capacitor into the board and try to measure what the voltage drop
across it is - Honestly, I don't know what causes a capacitor to blow up - is
it too much voltage or too much current? - Any suggestions are welcomed

hr(bob) wrote:
On Jul 17, 12:39 pm, "aarpay via ElectronicsKB.com" u36611@uwe
wrote:
Hi all:

[quoted text clipped - 11 lines]

If a capacitor blows out, then it is probably having a higher voltage
on it than it is rated for. You don't say what the voltage rating was
for the original capacitor or what the voltage rating was for the
replacement. Did you try to measure the voltage in the 10 seconds
before the replacement blew??

Bob Hofmann

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Fri, 18 Jul 2008 04:17:14 GMT, "aarpay via ElectronicsKB.com"
u36611@uwe wrote:

No, I did not try that - Actually, someone from a different message board
recommended this particular replacement capacitor (Radioshack item number
272-134: 0.047 microfarads, ceramic-disc capacitor 50WV DC)- but I have no
idea what the rating of the original capacitor was. I guess I could put
another capacitor into the board and try to measure what the voltage drop
across it is - Honestly, I don't know what causes a capacitor to blow up - is
it too much voltage or too much current? - Any suggestions are welcomed

It sounds like your replacement cap has too low a voltage rating.
..047 is much too small to replace an electrolytic capacitor. If you
can find enough of the original cap to identify it, then you will at
least know what you need. It's not uncommon for caps to fail from
heat and old age, or a defect in the original cap.
Andy Cuffe

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

The original capacitor was a small blue disc, about .5 centimeters in
diameter, with the following writing on it:

152K
1KV

Does this give you any idea about what kind of replacement to use? Thanks a
lot

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

aarpay via ElectronicsKB.com wrote:
The original capacitor was a small blue disc, about .5 centimeters in
diameter, with the following writing on it:

152K
1KV

The 1KV marking is 1000 V. The suggested RS component was 50 V.

152K suggests 1500pF 10% tolerance

With twenty dollars, You can buy five hundred of them here for your
experiments!! :-)

http://www.ecrater.com/product.php?pid=1240000

Note the description of the coding in the advert.

--
Adrian C
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Thanks a lot!!

After my last post I did some research on capacitor coding and came up with
the same numbers as you gave:

1500pF +/-10% 1000V

I ordered a few of these (at 18 cents each!!) and I will install them next
week when they arrive. Hopefully, that will do the trick. I'll post back here
and let all of you know if that fixed it..

Thanks to everyone who responded to this thread. You guys are all awesome!!

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"aarpay via ElectronicsKB.com" u36611@uwe wrote in message
Hi all:

I turned on my TV, heard a loud "pop!", then the TV went into standby
mode.
If I attempt to turn it on, it goes back into standby. I found a blown
capacitor inside the power board, replaced it, and the TV would come on
for
about 10 seconds, then the capacitor would blow again. I replaced it
twice,
and it keeps blowing out. Does anyone have any advice, suggestions,
experience? Apparently, a lot of people are having the same problem (blown
capacitor) with this TV. I'm hoping I can fix it myself; I just need
someone
to help me figure out what the problem is. Thanks a lot!!!!

Al

Throw the set in the trash and forget about T.V. all together. It's boring
and full of commercials. I got so sick of T.V. after a short while I threw a
bowling ball threw my t.v. screen and then finished it off with the bowling
ball. I use the space that my T.V. was in and I filled it up with Twinkies
and Oreos and orange cupcakes. I usually munch to pass the time.

**** what all'yall think. If I want to be heavy, that's my prerogative.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

That new capacitor seems to have fixed it - it appears to be working OK.
Thanks again for everyone's help. Cheers

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

[...]

Nobody here's stopping you from eating yourself to death you little spic
piece of garbage.