Posted to sci.electronics.repair
aarpay via ElectronicsKB.com aarpay via ElectronicsKB.com is offline

Default Trying to repair Sylvania 6842-PEM plasma T.V.

No, I did not try that - Actually, someone from a different message board
recommended this particular replacement capacitor (Radioshack item number
272-134: 0.047 microfarads, ceramic-disc capacitor 50WV DC)- but I have no
idea what the rating of the original capacitor was. I guess I could put
another capacitor into the board and try to measure what the voltage drop
across it is - Honestly, I don't know what causes a capacitor to blow up - is
it too much voltage or too much current? - Any suggestions are welcomed

hr(bob) wrote:
On Jul 17, 12:39 pm, "aarpay via ElectronicsKB.com" u36611@uwe
wrote:
Hi all:

[quoted text clipped - 11 lines]

If a capacitor blows out, then it is probably having a higher voltage
on it than it is rated for. You don't say what the voltage rating was
for the original capacitor or what the voltage rating was for the
replacement. Did you try to measure the voltage in the 10 seconds
before the replacement blew??

Bob Hofmann