Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Rob H. Rob H. is offline

Default What is it? Set 241

1362) Looks like a sounding line for measuring the depth of the
water. Normally I would expect a finer line than shown, but the
ties of ribbons around it at intervals may be intended to mark
the minimum safe depth. The wood cross-pin would float pulling
the first length of line vertical. Beyond that -- it depends on
the motion of the ship.

There should be a cavity in the bottom of the weight, to pull up
some samples of the bottom to give the navigator a clue where he
is.

I didn't look at the bottom of it, but the next time that I see one I'll
have to check for a cavity.

This week's answer page can be seen he

http://pzphotosans241k.blogspot.com/

Rob