Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

Default What is it? Set 241

I've got plans all day Friday, so I'll be posting the answers early tomorrow
morning:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

On Jul 16, 10:19*pm, "Rob H." wrote:
I've got plans all day Friday, so I'll be posting the answers early tomorrow
morning:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

1362. Hand Lead Line. to determine water depth under a boat or ship.
http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~mosmd/handline.htm
Karl
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

"Rob H." wrote in message
I've got plans all day Friday, so I'll be posting the answers early
tomorrow morning:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

1362 -- sounding lead. ("Mark...twain!")

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

On Thu, 17 Jul 2008 04:19:23 -0400, Rob H. wrote:

I've got plans all day Friday, so I'll be posting the answers early tomorrow
morning:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

Guesses without having looked at anybody else's answers:

1357: Primitive random number generator. Anybody who uses deterministic
methods to obtain random numbers is, of course, living in sin.

1358: Old-style toaster. Put a heating sourse underneath the device,
open the flaps, and stick a slice of bread on the flaps. Flip over
before bread is completely black.

1359: Box for a shoe-shiner?

1360: S&M implement for the particularly kinky. :-)

1361: Obviously a combination crowbar/wrench; the trick is to figure out
what particular combination it serves. Patent searching won't help,
since it only says "Pat. Pending". A quick search on the PW Cochran
Manufacturing Co., Chicago, Ill, USA didn't yield any useful results,
either.

1362: My first guess would be that the metal piece is nothing more than
a weight to keep the rope and pegs in place, but I'd have no idea what
the rope is used for. It's obviously a museum piece, however. :-)
Shipping? After all, I know you post photos from a lot of nautical
museums....

--
Ted S.
fedya at hughes dot net
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

1358: Old-style toaster. Put a heating sourse underneath the device,
open the flaps, and stick a slice of bread on the flaps. Flip over
before bread is completely black.

It isn't a toaster although it does look like one, I just added another
picture that shows the inside:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

"Rob H." wrote in message ...
1358: Old-style toaster. Put a heating sourse underneath the device,
open the flaps, and stick a slice of bread on the flaps. Flip over
before bread is completely black.

It isn't a toaster although it does look like one, I just added another
picture that shows the inside:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

The sides appear to be spring loaded. As a trap it wouldn't be too
effective as the animal would have to be almost completely on the
base plate or it would be flung free.
Maybe the opposite? It holds an animal and releases it for rich
man hunting?
Art

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

1357. I think SWMBO and I saw this at the Shaker Canterbury Village museum
and working farm site in New Hampshire a few years ago.

IIRC our tour guide said it was a math teaching tool for schoolchildren.

http://www.seacoastnh.com/dct/shakers.html

Jeff

Yes, it's a teacher's aid, most likely for learning to read numbers, and for
basic arithmetic.

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

"Artemus" wrote in message

"Rob H." wrote in message
1358: Old-style toaster. Put a heating sourse underneath the device,
open the flaps, and stick a slice of bread on the flaps. Flip over
before bread is completely black.

It isn't a toaster although it does look like one, I just added another
picture that shows the inside:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

The sides appear to be spring loaded. As a trap it wouldn't be too
effective as the animal would have to be almost completely on the
base plate or it would be flung free.
Maybe the opposite? It holds an animal and releases it for rich
man hunting?
Art

Correct, it's another live bird trap, used by trap shooters. I posted a
wooded one a year or two ago.

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

In article , Rob H. wrote:
I've got plans all day Friday, so I'll be posting the answers early tomorrow
morning:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

1360: Censer?

1361: Another special-purpose multitool. Wrench, nail head lifter,
perhaps a nail starter.

1362: It's a weight, on a rope. Likely for some nautical purpose.

result in a fully-depreciated one.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

"Rob H." wrote in message

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

1357. I think SWMBO and I saw this at the Shaker Canterbury Village
museum and working farm site in New Hampshire a few years ago.

IIRC our tour guide said it was a math teaching tool for schoolchildren.

http://www.seacoastnh.com/dct/shakers.html

Jeff

Yes, it's a teacher's aid, most likely for learning to read numbers, and
for basic arithmetic.

Rob

My first thought was that it's a Sudoku puzzle. ;-)

--Dogstar

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

On Thu, 17 Jul 2008 19:00:35 -0500,
(Matthew T. Russotto) wrote:

In article , Rob H. wrote:
I've got plans all day Friday, so I'll be posting the answers early tomorrow
morning:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

1360: Censer?

1361: Another special-purpose multitool. Wrench, nail head lifter,
perhaps a nail starter.

1362: It's a weight, on a rope. Likely for some nautical purpose.

1362 is a lead line used aboard ship to measure depths of water. Note
the distinctive markers that allow the use in the dark.

Bruce-in-Bangkok
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

On 2008-07-17, Rob H. wrote:
I've got plans all day Friday, so I'll be posting the answers early tomorrow
morning:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

O.K. Posting from rec.crafts.metalworking as always.

1357) Hmm ... maybe seeing the opposite side of a few sample louvers
might give a clue as to the relationship between the sets of
numbers.

At a guess -- something related to a game of some sort.

1358) Hmm ... some sort of critter trap designed to releas the
critter at the pull of the line.

I've heard of pigeon shoots where you shoot at released
pigeons. Probably something which would be shut down by PETA
these days.

1359) No real clue. The shape suggest a shoeshine setup, with the
shoeshine boy sitting on the lower step -- if it is rigid
enough. But there is no discoloration to indicate that it was
actually used for that -- or much of anything.

1360) If it were a single wire (capillary tube) I would consider the
possibility that it would be a temperature sensor which uses
expanding liquid to transfer the measurements to elsewhere.

But this is multi strand wire, and the end opens. It may be for
sampling some kind of mud or muck at the bottom of a well or
something similar.

1361) Hmm ... a wrench combined with a wedge. Might be for
adjusting the height of a machine tool of some sort.

1362) Looks like a sounding line for measuring the depth of the
water. Normally I would expect a finer line than shown, but the
ties of ribbons around it at intervals may be intended to mark
the minimum safe depth. The wood cross-pin would float pulling
the first length of line vertical. Beyond that -- it depends on
the motion of the ship.

There should be a cavity in the bottom of the weight, to pull up
some samples of the bottom to give the navigator a clue where he
is.

Now to see what others have guessed.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

In article , "Rob H."
wrote:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

This weeks' shots in the dark:

1357 - I'd guess some sort of gaming/gambling device, but how it gets
used is a mystery to me. I'd suspect the slats might be able to be
moved about to different positions to vary the game more; that might
also explain the upside-down numbers on the top slat.

1358 - A live trap for a mouse or similar small critter. Pressure on
the base causes the three sides to swing up into a pyramid, capturing
the inmate. (An ancient Egyptian design?)

1359 - Just a guess: a calculator or adding machine?

1360 - Possibly a tester for air in wells or similar deep pits to use
before descending; if a lit candle in the metal case stayed lit after
being lowered, the air didn't contain too much carbon dioxide to
suffocate the descender. No idea why one would need such sturdy wire
rope if that's the case, though.

1361 - Combination of wrench and, ummm, wedge tool thingy. Possibly a
drift of some sort to aid in removing keys holding bits or other
implements in a chuck of some sort, and a wrench to tighten them in
place?

1362 - Sounding line to determine the depth of water from a boat, the
various tied on ribbons indicating various depths in a reasonably
standard (but still mysterious to landlubbers) scheme.

On to other's thoughts....

--
Andrew Erickson

lose." -- Jim Elliot
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

1362) Looks like a sounding line for measuring the depth of the
water. Normally I would expect a finer line than shown, but the
ties of ribbons around it at intervals may be intended to mark
the minimum safe depth. The wood cross-pin would float pulling
the first length of line vertical. Beyond that -- it depends on
the motion of the ship.

There should be a cavity in the bottom of the weight, to pull up
some samples of the bottom to give the navigator a clue where he
is.

I didn't look at the bottom of it, but the next time that I see one I'll
have to check for a cavity.

This week's answer page can be seen he

http://pzphotosans241k.blogspot.com/

Rob