Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default can you still get 4oz ball pein hammers?

"rigger" wrote in message
On Jul 17, 5:04 am, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
Stealth Pilot fired this volley
:

I have two of these little hammers which I find the most used and
useful of all the hammers in my workshop. one must be 90 years old.

I've been looking all over to get anothe, or another few, but am only
seeing ball pein hammers down to 8oz.

price of chinese progress?? are they still available?

they are. Try MicroMark tools.

However, this is a machining sig. Why not chuck up a lump of steel in
your lathe and make one? The only milling required would be to plunge-
cut the handle pocket.

LLoyd

But the "handle pocket" is not straight sided and don't forget the
heat treating; VERY important for this type of hammer.

The socket is tapered in both directions, with the longer taper on top. And
the face is hardened and tempered overall to a medium-high hardness. Then
the outer edge of the face is tempered to dark blue, using an "iron" that
has a cone-shaped socket, which is heated to red heat, into which the hammer
face is pushed for a few seconds to transfer heat to just the peripheral
edge.

It's a little tricky if you're trying to make a high-quality hammer,
particularly if you need a polished face. I have three raising hammers that
were custom-made that way by an expert, in the 1930s.

--
Ed Huntress