Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dave August Dave August is offline

Default Home insurance and metalworking

If you are in an incorporated city and you ARE doing business out of your
garage/home (no matter HOW small) and you don't have a business license
there are more people than your insurance company to worry about. Even if
it's not in an incorporated city, the state should want some tax money
too...

IMHO If all you've made is a 100 bucks you should have never even mentiond
it... Insurance companies are NOT your friend, they are a business that
makes money for their investors... now you are directly in their sights and
have given them reasosn to either raise your rates or stick a rider on your
policy that may well nullify your coverage in some cases...

good luck

--.- Dave

"Michael Koblic" wrote in message
rvecommunications...
Thankfully we do not have HOAs here.

The issue would not have arisen had I not been in the process of renewing
my policy and the question of "home business" came up. I have sold some of
my pieces to the total of less than $100 in a year. I did not set out to
profit from what I do. Calling it "business" is somewhat presumptious.

Now I am waiting for the insurance company to clarify their position via
the broker.

I do not see much point speculating on the outcome, but I was interested
what others' experience was in this direction.

Will they stop me doing what I do if I sell the stuff, i.e. is it OK if i
keep it or give it away? Will they put restricitions on the level of
income? Will they put restrictions on the type of process that can be
employed, e.g welding?

I shall know in a few days.

--
Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC

"Joe Pfeiffer" wrote in message
Al Patrick writes:

It might depend on where it is in the home, should they find out.
Detached garage shouldn't bother as much as in the basement. You
*may* want to be sure that the house is even covered under such
conditions. Some may have a clause restricting any commercial
activities. Check your home owner's association. They may be way
tougher than the insurance companies some time.

The HOA would be a very different animal than the insurance
company... and the concern with them would be complaints before the
house burned down, not after. That actually brings up a short story:
a while ago, a neighbor asked me if I'd mind if he put up carport in
front of his garage. I looked at him blankly, and he reminded me that
it's a violation of the covenants in our neighborhood. I said, "oh,
yeah -- see that metal shed in my back yard?" I figure nobody in the
neighborhood can complain about anybody else, because we're all in
violation of the convenants somehow.

As for coverage in the event of a fire... hmm... maybe I should read
my policy.