Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM[_2_] RBM[_2_] is offline

Default GFCI outlets required with a GFCI Breaker?

"metspitzer" wrote in message
On Tue, 15 Jul 2008 22:09:19 -0400, "RBM" wrote:

"mm" wrote in message
. ..
On Tue, 15 Jul 2008 18:26:56 -0400, "RBM" wrote:

"mm" wrote in message
m...
On Tue, 15 Jul 2008 12:10:06 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

Redoing my bathroom and I purchased GFCI outlets for the walls. But I
just realized that the bathroom, as a whole, is on a GFCI circuit
breaker. Does standard practice or the NEC require both? Or is that
overdoing it?

Not needed. My house was built with one GFI breaker for the bathroom
outlets, the kitchen sink outlets, and the outdoor outlets.

-Theodore

All those outlets are on one GF breaker?

Yeah. I think the kitchen sink would be on it, at least. There is
no other GFI in the house, or the other 108 houses like mine.

I never use any of the outlets though, except the one in the kitchen,
which I really only use for a radio, and sometimes two light bulbs
under the cabinet.

Lately I've been using one in the bathroom for an electric toothbrush
which takes almost no current, and a 12" tv, which uses some.

I question that because there was never a time in NEC history, when
Kitchen counter outlets and bathroom outlets or outside outlets could
legally be protected by the same GF breaker

The restriction you are talking about is that kitchen outlets can
serve no other parts of the house. Correct?

Anything else in and around the house can share GFCI protection.

Correct, circuits for kitchen outlets can serve dining room outlets but no
others. Today, bathroom circuits can't serve any other outlets, but other
bathrooms