Bay Area Dave

Default can I stain over poly?

what's your point? just because there is a stain/poly finish doesn't
mean that you can just wipe straight stain over a dry poly finish, now
does it???

dave

George wrote:
Think about it Dave. Minwax and others make a stain/poly all-in-one finish.

Difficulty comes with a difference between the look of stain in wood versus
stain over wood. Scuff and do the bottom with full-strength stain/varnish,
dilute the top treatment, you might have a chance.

The Rev is correct in saying that oil colors are compatible with oil-based
varnish, so you can mix your own if you care to.

"Bay Area Dave" wrote in message
.com...

buy her some gradient tinted glasses. you are right;stain isn't gonna
stick to poly.

Just finished putting two coats of oil based polyurethane on a red oak
entertainment center that was stained with Minwax gel stain. SWMBO

noticed

that the lower section of the entertainment center is lighter in color

than

the top

Question: Can I tint the poly and apply a third coat to the lower

section,

effectively darking it? Or, perhaps I can buy some stain/poly combo? I