Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jon Elson Jon Elson is offline

Default Having a problem seeing the weld pool with very low currents

Randy wrote:
On Tue, 15 Jul 2008 01:13:51 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

I'm currently TIGing some thin stainless (0.55mm) sheet and this
requires very low currents.

The problem I'm having is that my auto-helmet only goes down to DIN 9
and it seems way too dark.

Make sure there is no light behind you, turn out the lights in the
shop if needed. Just a little light coming in the back of the helmet
can really hurt what you see in from of you on low amp jobs.

Oh, I fix that by throwing a towel over my head and the top of
the helmet. It helps a lot, and lets me still see what I'm
doing while setting up. Turning the lights out in MY shop is a
dangerous thing to do!

Jon