Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall Andy Hall is offline

Default Bad Luck or ...

On 2008-07-15 02:14:42 +0100, "Arfa Daily" said:

Thanks for all the comments. It's kinda the conclusion that I had come to.
However, I have to say that the original B&D I had (the 25 year old one) was
excellent, even though it was cheap. It cut straight and square, and didn't
seem to have any problem cutting any thickness up to the maximum that the
blade could cope with. The up to date B&D circular saw that I have, is also
of a good quality, and is a faultless performer, so not all of their current
tools are rubbish. Perhaps they're just not good at jigsaws anymore ... Ya
liv 'n' lern, as they say d;~}

Arfa

It's something where cost reducing the mechanism leads to a major drop
off in behaviour. I had a B&D one somewhat newer than your but not as
bad and had come to the conclusion that all jigsaws were limited in
terms of control and being able to follow a line. Initially I thought
it was something that I was doing and tried various things, all to no
avail.

I consigned the jig saw, generically as a fairly limited tool
restricted to doing certain rough work and so quite limited for my
applications.

Some while later, I tried a Bosch GST series at a tool show just to see
whether there was any difference with a c. £100 product. Was there.
I was amazed. I could get accurate work, excellent control and
results were really good. So I bought one.

Sometimes manufacturers do lose the plot and have a period of bringing
out ****ty tools of one type. There does seem to be a generic thing
here though. The low end jigsaws seem to range from disappointing to
down right rubbish.

So I think the conclusion is that if you do have use for a jigsaw at
all, then this is one where deciding whether you want to buy a Bosch or
Makita is justified. Otherwise don't bother and manage some other way,
unless you just want a £20 job for cutting the occasional rough hole
out of something.