Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
mac davis[_5_] mac davis[_5_] is offline

Default Tinting CA?

On Sun, 13 Jul 2008 18:03:58 +0100, John wrote:

In message , John
writes

Not sure if this one is wax based, but there are dyes for colouring
paraffin wax used to make candles, a small drop goes miles

I actually came across my dyes Red Blue and Yellow so gave it a try.

Only a few grains (1/4 match head) of the dye was placed on a flat
surface (piece of wood) and CA dropped onto it. The colour flowed into
the CA almost immediate, proving it is CA soluble.
Now I have a nice red coloured piece of wood. Though it has a level of
opacity to it which can be changed by the amount of dye used. Still not
sure if it would work as a filler, because of the opacity, but does give
an option. IIRC the cost of these dyes was about $12 a time, but it
could go miles

Are your dyes powdered?
I have all my candle stuff packed away somewhere, but all my dyes and scents are
in blocks that you shave off of..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing