Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wes[_2_] Wes[_2_] is offline

Default Grease or oil?

"Michael Koblic" wrote:

Some of the threads here got me thinking: What, in general, is a proper
application for lubricating oil and when should one use grease?

Oil fast, grease slow?

A 3000 rpm spindle with 8" bearings uses grease. Kluber.

Now a 30K rpm grind spindle uses air mist oiling. Have a few of those at work. Bearings
weigh in at 1.5 inches or so across the ball line.

Ways use oil and they are slow moving. Likely has something to do with evacuating debris.
Tackifiers are added to keep surfaces wetted.

Guns, I use a teflon impregnated oil and clean when using in a dusty enviroment.

Oil tends to be constantly added to surfaces in continuous motion, grease tends to be a
one time application for continuous motion.

Our big HMC's use thin oil for bearing lubrication and cooling.

Depends on the application.

If you want to try a tenacious grease, try coupling grease. Like honey on a cool day.
Yuck.

Wes