Posted to alt.home.repair
JIMMIE JIMMIE is offline

Default Sun Shield

hr(bob) wrote:
On Jul 10, 4:28�pm, JIMMIE wrote:
I hung fence panels on the west side of my house to give it some shade
from the sun. Before I hung them the inside wall temp would be just
over 100F in the afternoon measured from inside the house the outside
walls would bearound 130F. The house has 2x4 walls with masonite
siding.

After installation the wall temp is at ambient room temp.
I was wondering whether or not this problem may be a indication that
the walls of my house were poorly insulated.

The panels are installed on the utility side of my house and it doesnt
look too bad blending in with a few fence panels I had previously
installed to shield the �air conditioner, garbage cans and utility
connections from view. It is something I could live with.

Although it may be a little late to ask I was wondering if there is a
reason I shouldnt have done this.

Jimmie

Can you take them down for winter heating?

Bob Hofmann

Yes they hang from the top using angle iron rail and bolt into the
masonry foundation on the bottom. I can take out 4 lag bolts in each
panel and remove them for maintenance. The three panels can be rmoved
in about 10 minutes.

As far as for taking them down for heating this side of the house is
also exposed to the coldest wind so I think it would best to leave
them up all year.

Jimmie