Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
LRod[_2_] LRod[_2_] is offline

Default Craftsman Lathe Tailstock

On Fri, 11 Jul 2008 14:08:53 GMT, woodslave
wrote:

Thanks for the information. I'm going to be out looking this weekend for a
live center. I think I'll take the old one with me to make sure it matches
up. I have a 2 tube lathe the model number is 149-23871

Woops. Two tube may be a different story. I remember my dad bought one
of those years after I left home (I don't think he ever did much with
it). My recollection was that the centers (head and tail) were
integral to the arbor in the headstock and the mechanism of the tail
stock.

Although I didn't have a Sears monotube lathe at the time, I was well
familiar with them and recognized the limitations of the design of the
two tube (not necessarily the "tube" aspect--just that the whole
design of the two tube was geared toward a lower price point, he said,
delicately). At the time, I was in the process of or had already built
a lathe and was well acquainted with the concept of the tapered
inserts, which I don't think the two tube has.

If it comes to it, and you're unable to achieve what you want with
that two tube (see "lower price point" above), AND you live in the
Southeast, I can be persuaded to part with my surplus Sears monotube
(and plenty of accessories) for a reasonable figure.

--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net
http://www.normstools.com

care to correspond with you anyway.