Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Craftsman Lathe Tailstock

I'm new to woodworking and particularly turning. I recently purchased
an old craftsman lathe with a good motor. It is missing the pointed piece
that actually holds the tail end of the wood on the tailstock. I have
checked the sears website and the part or parts that were originally used
for that have been discontinued. I was thinking about having one made at a
local machine shop. I think I need just a circular point welded to a nut
that threads onto the tailstock assembly. Is there a certain angle I
should use for the point? I'm thinking about 60 degrees would be OK.
Better yet is there somewhere else I can get this item or something else I
can use in place of it?

Thanks
woodslave
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
DOD DOD is offline

Go to Sears and get a live center that has the appropriate
taper to fit into your tailstock -- probably a #1 Morse taper (1MT).
I got one a few years ago for around $10. Works great on my old
mono-tube lathe.

woodslave wrote:
I'm new to woodworking and particularly turning. I recently purchased
an old craftsman lathe with a good motor. It is missing the pointed piece
that actually holds the tail end of the wood on the tailstock. I have
checked the sears website and the part or parts that were originally used
for that have been discontinued. I was thinking about having one made at a
local machine shop. I think I need just a circular point welded to a nut
that threads onto the tailstock assembly. Is there a certain angle I
should use for the point? I'm thinking about 60 degrees would be OK.
Better yet is there somewhere else I can get this item or something else I
can use in place of it?

Thanks
woodslave

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

I was trolling through Ebay today and remembered seeing this. Might be what
you are looking for.

http://search.ebay.com/search/search...ge=search&fgtp

If that doesn't work I searched for Craftsman Lathes Tail Stock and got 3
hits on Ebay.

Unless your a good machinist or know one, I'd be hesitant about making
something up. The tailstock is designed to support the piece while turning,
and apply some pressure to the piece.

Good luck,
JD

--
He that will make a good use of any part
of his life must allow a large portion of it

"woodslave" wrote in message
I'm new to woodworking and particularly turning. I recently purchased
an old craftsman lathe with a good motor. It is missing the pointed piece
that actually holds the tail end of the wood on the tailstock. I have
checked the sears website and the part or parts that were originally used
for that have been discontinued. I was thinking about having one made at a
local machine shop. I think I need just a circular point welded to a nut
that threads onto the tailstock assembly. Is there a certain angle I
should use for the point? I'm thinking about 60 degrees would be OK.
Better yet is there somewhere else I can get this item or something else I
can use in place of it?

Thanks
woodslave

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

look at "live center" on www.use-enco.com see if anything looks right

if all else fails, drop me a note and I'll see how I can help. find my

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Thu, 10 Jul 2008 01:24:33 GMT, woodslave
wrote:

Any place that supplies lathe accessories should have what you want
(that is, if I understand your question correctly)--it doesn't have to
be Sears, specifically. The old monotube lathes (I have one) used a #1
MT (Morse taper) for both head and tailstock fittings. General
woodworking suppliers will probably have them, and specialty
woodturning suppliers certainly will. Try the usual suspects.

Originally, lathes in general and Sears in particular used "dead"
centers in the tail stock (the center didn't turn--the wood bears
against it and spins and a lubricant such as beeswax is sometimes used
to mitigate burning). Most people (and newer lathes) use a "live"
center in the tail stock (the center itself sits in a bearing which is
mounted on the MT stub--the center spins with the wood). Thus, there
is a brisk business in tail stock live centers for older lathes.

I'm new to woodworking and particularly turning. I recently purchased
an old craftsman lathe with a good motor. It is missing the pointed piece
that actually holds the tail end of the wood on the tailstock. I have
checked the sears website and the part or parts that were originally used
for that have been discontinued. I was thinking about having one made at a
local machine shop. I think I need just a circular point welded to a nut
that threads onto the tailstock assembly. Is there a certain angle I
should use for the point? I'm thinking about 60 degrees would be OK.
Better yet is there somewhere else I can get this item or something else I
can use in place of it?

--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net
http://www.normstools.com

care to correspond with you anyway.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

I likely have the same lathe under the Canadian Tire brand name,
Mastercraft. One of the best things you can do for the lathe is dump the
original tail center and get a new one. You are half way there :-) Pick up a
#1 Morse taper live tail center almost anywhere that sells woodturning
supplies and off you go.
Is this the one?
http://aroundthewoods.com/woodturnin...glathes02.html

--
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate
"woodslave" wrote in message
I'm new to woodworking and particularly turning. I recently purchased
an old craftsman lathe with a good motor. It is missing the pointed piece
that actually holds the tail end of the wood on the tailstock. I have
checked the sears website and the part or parts that were originally used
for that have been discontinued. I was thinking about having one made at a
local machine shop. I think I need just a circular point welded to a nut
that threads onto the tailstock assembly. Is there a certain angle I
should use for the point? I'm thinking about 60 degrees would be OK.
Better yet is there somewhere else I can get this item or something else I
can use in place of it?

Thanks
woodslave

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Thu, 10 Jul 2008 01:24:33 GMT, woodslave wrote:

I'm new to woodworking and particularly turning. I recently purchased
an old craftsman lathe with a good motor. It is missing the pointed piece
that actually holds the tail end of the wood on the tailstock. I have
checked the sears website and the part or parts that were originally used
for that have been discontinued. I was thinking about having one made at a
local machine shop. I think I need just a circular point welded to a nut
that threads onto the tailstock assembly. Is there a certain angle I
should use for the point? I'm thinking about 60 degrees would be OK.
Better yet is there somewhere else I can get this item or something else I
can use in place of it?

Thanks
woodslave

As others have said, you don't need a Craftsman part.. any center that fits your
lathe will be fine..

I recommend this one:

http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=3727

it seems pricey, but I've been abusing it for 2 years of daily turning and
haven't hurt it yet..

I love the interchangeable points and cups and the magnet to hold them makes
changing them easy.. YMWV

Have a great time and welcome to the addiction..

"My name is Mac, and I'm a woodturner...."

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

go here
http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?P...PARTPG=INLMK32

$24.95 for #1 MT live center

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Thanks for the information. I'm going to be out looking this weekend for a
live center. I think I'll take the old one with me to make sure it matches
up. I have a 2 tube lathe the model number is 149-23871

woodslave wrote:
I'm new to woodworking and particularly turning. I recently purchased
an old craftsman lathe with a good motor. It is missing the pointed piece
that actually holds the tail end of the wood on the tailstock. I have
checked the sears website and the part or parts that were originally used
for that have been discontinued. I was thinking about having one made at a
local machine shop. I think I need just a circular point welded to a nut
that threads onto the tailstock assembly. Is there a certain angle I
should use for the point? I'm thinking about 60 degrees would be OK.
Better yet is there somewhere else I can get this item or something else I
can use in place of it?

Thanks
woodslave

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Fri, 11 Jul 2008 14:08:53 GMT, woodslave
wrote:

Thanks for the information. I'm going to be out looking this weekend for a
live center. I think I'll take the old one with me to make sure it matches
up. I have a 2 tube lathe the model number is 149-23871

Woops. Two tube may be a different story. I remember my dad bought one
of those years after I left home (I don't think he ever did much with
it). My recollection was that the centers (head and tail) were
integral to the arbor in the headstock and the mechanism of the tail
stock.

Although I didn't have a Sears monotube lathe at the time, I was well
familiar with them and recognized the limitations of the design of the
two tube (not necessarily the "tube" aspect--just that the whole
design of the two tube was geared toward a lower price point, he said,
delicately). At the time, I was in the process of or had already built
a lathe and was well acquainted with the concept of the tapered
inserts, which I don't think the two tube has.

If it comes to it, and you're unable to achieve what you want with
that two tube (see "lower price point" above), AND you live in the
Southeast, I can be persuaded to part with my surplus Sears monotube
(and plenty of accessories) for a reasonable figure.

--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net
http://www.normstools.com

care to correspond with you anyway.

Craftsman Lathe Tailstock woodslave Woodworking 7 July 16th 08 09:40 PM
How to prevent MT2 arbor from sticking in lathe tailstock? lens Metalworking 11 December 31st 05 01:16 AM
Old lathe bed, no motor, needs tailstock JayW Woodturning 3 February 16th 05 01:26 AM
fa: lathe tailstock (make your own lathe?) william_b_noble Woodturning 0 October 17th 04 05:02 AM
Delta lathe tailstock chuck issue moggy Woodturning 7 December 22nd 03 06:54 PM