Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Mike Gray Mike Gray is offline

Default Troy Built Horse tiller older engine blow up. What to do.

On Fri, 11 Jul 2008 11:07:02 -0700, stryped wrote:

I have an older model Troy bilt horse. )I belive 1982. It is 6 horse
electric start. I was tilling yesterday and it made a metallic sound
then died. It has no compression when pulling the recoil starter.

HH60-105116Hser23230

Stryped, don't you have the Troy-Bilt book that came with the tiller.
It has pretty much everything you need in the way of instructions to strip
down and work on the engine I believe.
Our Troy-Bilt was purchased in about 1973 with that same Tecumseh 6 hp but
manual start - I just this summer passed it on to a buddy as we've moved
into an apartment; still running the same engine with no replacement parts
except a carb tune-up kit. Mind you I have worn out 4 sets of tines!
If you go for a replacement engine you need the reduced shaft, keyed, and
tapped for the bolt which secures the reverse fibre disc, measure each of
these 3 items before purchase. I believe the 4 mounting bolt holes should
be pretty standard, but it wouldn't hurt to check the bolt-circle on yours
against the replacement.
So there - 4 thingies to check out for your replacement.
HTH,
Mike in BC on a beautiful summer's day and gas in Burns Lake is still only
$1.399 a litre. Don't I feel warm and fuzzy! (sarcasm dripping fast)