Posted to alt.home.repair
terry terry is offline

Default Main Panel

On Jul 11, 12:19*pm, Mikepier wrote:
On Jul 10, 11:30*pm, John wrote:

I need some help with a electrical question. A few years ago I had
some electrical work done and the new wiring used up all my empty
slots as well as having to change most of my breakers to double ones.
At that time the electrician told me that if I ever wanted any more
wiring Id need a sub panel installed. I still have two single pole
breakers left, one for the dishwasher and one for the disposal. Why
cant these be changed to double pole giving me two more lines?

How can I verify that the panel is maxed out?

Thanks
John

What service is your main panel? If its 100A, then maybe your
electrician meant to change the panel to a 200A service. You might be
able to change the single pole breaker to a double pole, but your main
service might not be able to handle everything being used at once.

In other words there are double (or TWO POLE) circuit breakers and
there are, for want of a better description, what can be desiganated
(DOUBLE) single pole circuit breakers.

If you run out of breaker positions you can perhaps use some DOUBLE
single pole breakers, each one of these 'doubles' will take the place
of one existing (SINGLE POLE) breaker but will allow the doubling up
of, for example two lighting or outlet circuits circuits. Thus
'saving' another single pole position.

But the DOUBLE single pole breakers will only provide for 115 volt
circuits; no good for anything that needs 230 volts, such as a hot
water heater, heavy AC, electric cooking stove etc.

However by doubling up say, some lighting circuits an electrician may
be able to 'free up' a couple of slots that can accommodate maybe one
TWO/DOUBLE POLE breakers for a 230 volt circuits.

It sounds as if your panel/service maybe old and at capacity? Capacity
being a) Sufficient breakers to meet electrical code and your
insurance requirements for the number of circuits and b) Sufficient
capacity to carry the electrical loads without tripping circuit
breakers and or catching fire!

Please be careful. And if you get into 3 wire 230/115 volt 'Edison'
circuit wiring get electrical help.

In our house we have a couple of secondary panels; one, near the
kitchen is fed by a 100 amp (double pole) breaker in the main panel.
Another 50 amp (double pole) breaker feeds a panel in our store room/
garage. From these secondary panels, all wired to code; circuits go to
outlets, lights and appliances in those house areas. A third 30 amp
feeds our basement workshop; where a single fused switch allows
everything in the workshop to be shut off.